PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2021, 20:56
Flugplatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a lot of serious noises coming out of Beijing. I think the Russian response in Crimea to the Royal Navy sail-by has probably already raised the ante, so will we see the HMS QE group come under fire? I am sure the RN won't bottle it (despite, I am sure, some private misgivings from those in command in the group) although maybe the politicians will wonder if sailing in the disputed waters is really worth the possible repercussions? Probably the least we will see are aggressive mock attacks, in force, against the strike group; if not an outright actual attack. Or maybe attempts to lure an F35, or two, out for an aerial victory. Possibly also, in the modern manner, an intense Cyberattack on the UK if the Strike Group goes through with the plan that seems to be suggested. I suppose the advantage to China would be to send the strongest possible message that the stakes have changed dramatically without getting in a shooting war with the US.

I think we may well see a pause as the UK strike group arrives in the region and possibly incorporates a US or Japanese warship or two, or at least get some US air support covering the op. Expect leave is already being cancelled for a whole lot of personnel in Main Building and it will be an extremely anxious time across the UK defence establishment