PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should have kept Lyneham Open
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2021, 13:43
Not a Crew Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Base Support

Originally Posted by BEagle
Reagarding DOB operations, perhaps closer examination should be given to all the original V-force Main Bomber Bases and dispersed operating bases? For example, when at Scampton, 35 used Finningley and 617 used Leeming. All 3 aerodromes still have decent runways, although Finningley is now an underused civil airport, Leeming is used to a fraction of its capacity and Scampton is apparently on the verge of closure...
Referring to the the other thread on dispersed Ops, key to it all though, was that our dispersal had a full set of support equipment. For my sins, I was first in last out when 35 dispersed to Finningley, being the inventory holder and designated 'responsible SNCO' (no tittering at the back). Effectively 35 had two lots of GSE etc, right down to crew room kettles. One lot at Scampton and the other, the bane of my life, at Doncaster International.
I must have done something bad in a previous life as my other sins were rewarded with being UMO for a 3 engined Squadron. Even deploying to Fairford for Taceval, whilst 10 and 101 went somewhere else, was a nightmare as Brize tried to divi up it's assets for 3 squadrons and found it didn't have enough. The biggest fight being not between the squadrons but all 3 UMOs, acting together, and the station who naturally wanted to retain some assets for the non deploying non exercise tasking, plus a reserve.

Happy days.