PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Women will need to register for the draft?
Old 30th Jul 2021, 08:08
Saintsman

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
US Women will need to register for the draft?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ter-draft.html

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Although nobody is about to be drafted at the moment, it's not inconceivable at some stage in the future (for men and also women, should the bill be approved).

I supposed its come about as a direct consequence of equal rights and if women want things to be equal, there are pro's and con's. No doubt at all that some women are more than capable of being good soldiers, but I think that the proportion who are not, is significantly higher than those who would be. This is probably the opposite to men, so would you really want lots of poor soldiers in the front line? I wouldn't.

Then again, if you started selecting who to take on their perceived ability, that opens up a minefield as people are then discriminated, when I believe the whole point of the bill is about equality. It will likely get messy.

Whilst this is a US issue at the moment, I'm sure its something other countries will have to consider, though you know that some countries won't...