PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2021, 20:36
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"We never really prosecuted Afghanistan like a real War....."

The Russians did and look how that finished up - and the first 3 British Afghan Wars weren't fought with hands tied behind backs and they finished up in the same horrible mess.

We have to face it that the Afghans really don't like foreign intervention and, unlike many places, are willing to fight for their country whatever the cost in human life.
The concept of Afghanistan as a country [rather than a place] may be a modern construct. My study of military history loses interest c. 1920, but it suggest that the population is tribal or sub-tribal in social organisation, and "country" does not enter into the equation.

Calling Afghanistan a country does not make it a cohesive entity, and calling someone an Afghan is a crude all-embracing generalisation.

It is possible that something may have happened to my scenario since 1920 but I have not read or heard anything to change my tentative judgement.

I write from a comfortable armchair having served no further east than Nicosia, but I write surrounded by a military library heavily influenced by the NW Frontier and the Great Game.

Discuss.