PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2021, 03:47
MickG0105

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
I've not used the phrase "orders of magnitude higher".
No, you haven't. Others here have.

Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Leave the value judgment as to what to do or not to do about that to others.
That is exactly what I have advocated previously.

Originally Posted by MickG0105
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
It’s never as simple as the personal liberty VS lockdowns argument is put (by most people).

It's probably more correctly a personal liberty versus public health argument in that the lockdowns are being used to pursue public health outcomes. Thus it boils down to the discussion/debate that first started a few millennia ago when people first started organising themselves into societal groups - how you reconcile the trade-off between the individual and the group.

Unsurprisingly, some people are firm advocates for individual rights first, while others believe that the welfare of the group is more important. To tap Aurelius, it's the bee and the hive discussion. At the end of the day it comes down to personal values. And frankly who is anyone on this forum to tell anyone else that their values are wrong?

I think that it is fair to say that what some people see as an unreasonable imposition on civil liberties others see as a reasonable public health measure. Those pesky values again. You do you.
. Added bolding to original.