PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apollo 15
Thread: Apollo 15
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2021, 02:21
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Darn good Wiggy - 24 men "visited" the moon, 12 men walked on it. Presumably the one dozen/two dozen is purely coincidental...

At some time, I saw a program about Apollo 13 where it was stated that - due to their accelerated return trajectory - just prior to re-entry Apollo 13 went faster than any other manned spacecraft in history.
Interestingly, about ten years ago there was a big fundraiser Gala at the Seattle Museum of flight - I was fortunate enough to meet several of the Apollo astronauts and flight controller types (Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Gene Krantz to name just a few, plus several more from the Space Shuttle program). After the event ended, while I was waiting for the valet parking to bring my car, I noted that Fred Haise was waiting next to me (along with a woman who I assumed to be his wife). I made a little small talk as we were waiting and mentioned that at least they had the record for the fasted human flight. He didn't know what I was talking about - so I explained what I'd heard on that TV program - he apparently had no idea...

BTW I read Worden's book about Apollo 15 a while back (Falling to Earth) - darn good read.