PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mystery Argosy
Thread: Mystery Argosy
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2021, 22:02
brakedwell

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NRU74
I was on the Beverley crew which took the only serviceable Air/Sea Rescue Boat from Aden to Perim Island at the mouth of the Red Sea where Johnnie had arranged a fishing trip or two with one of his cronies
Thread drift I am afraid, but Perim brings back a happy memory! I was doing a Twin Pioneer conversion after joining 78 Sqn in 1959. We were descending into Perim Island for a landing followed by an immediate return to Aden when the starboard engine failed seriously. This meant a night stop as it was too late to arrange for a pick up. The Foreign Office bod stationed there arrived and we all muttered “Peter Sellers”. He arranged for us to stay in a government owned beachside bungalow which had four beds but no sheets or blankets. He promised to send the Greek shopowner to take our food and drink orders, which would be paid for by Her Majesty, during the journey in his landrover. The Greek chappie arrived soon after our arrival and took our order for an awful lot of bottles of beer. Food was more difficult, but I remember a few cans of corned beef. It was very hot indoors, so we dragged the four beds out on to a balcony overlooking the sea. A very pleasant evening was spent by the four of us, drinking beer and listening to the plop of very big fish in the sea. The next afternoon a Twin Pin arrived to take us home, but we never saw “Peter Sellars” again!