PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Installing old Office 2003 in W10
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2021, 14:04
Specaircrew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
My old computer running on W7 had a mechanical hard drive. This got too slow taking some five minutes to fire up so I have bought another one with a SSHD that came with W10 loaded.

The OS system is fine but it insists that if I want Office I load 365 and I don't want to because as far as I can read it means that all your files are stored in Cloud and I do not want to do that. I have loaded Open Office but it is very untidy and slow and I have got used to instant response from the SSHD.. I have tried my old copy of Office 2003 but it keeps coming up with 'A required installation file YS561401.CAB could not be found' It tells me to reselect the D drive but then the same statement comes up so the disc cannot be compatible with W10.

The are lots of adverts for Office 2019 but the economical ones just mention a key. How does this work if you buy a key. More importantly, is it reliable and recognised by Microsoft for security updates.

As others have already pointed out, Microsoft 365 does not force you to store your files on Onedrive, it's totally up to you where you save them to. I've been using it for years and it beats the CD version as it's always up to date and the annual subscription can usually be found heavily discounted. Having said that, Onedrive is a godsend for saving hard disk space and you can select which files are 'always available' for when you're working 'off grid'.