PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The I'm from the internet may soon become reality as RAF training moves to simulators
Old 27th Jul 2021, 14:00
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I am not familiar with the current generations of Sims so I have no basis upon which to speak re your question.

Your three categories of Pilots reactions to the Sim is fairly accurate based upon my past experience.

In my time...the Sims used "Two" computers...one for the Sim itself and one for the Visual...and the synching of the. two suffered from a very slight lag between the control inputs felt by the Sim.....before the Visual reacted.

That very slight delay is what triggered the over controlling as in real life the aircraft reaction is felt/seen a lot quicker than in the Sim.

Later versions have improved on that for sure as in the later models I instructed in were much better in early models I first used.

The other feature that leads to "hard" landings is as the surface is approached.....the Sim Visual (in the ones I am experienced in....) lacked sufficient detail re surface texture to provide real life equivalent in Depth Perception. I used to remind Sim Students to aim for the Centerline and Touch Down Zone markings on the runway as there was more contrast in them than on the Runway surface and not to "feel" for surface as in the real aircraft.

The other interesting feature in the Sims I instructed in was as you approached the surface....perspective changed due to the modeling done by the Software Engineers....and as you got close to the ground the Centerline grew in size to where it looked like a small runway rather than a marking on a Runway.

I learned to teach the students to treat the Sim as a Sim...not the actual aircraft and noted all the visual and control differences they would encounter so they understood what was going on as a result of the design of the Sim and I found that allowed for a quicker transition to flying the Sim.

One other thing that enters into the handling problems of the Sim by Pilots who are very current and proficient in flying the real aircraft.....is the Sim is not a real Aircraft.

The G forces and other natural forces we feel as we fly the actual aircraft are not present in the Sim...even in the best full motion Sim.

An example is when a Turn is made in the Sim....say a steep turn of double a standard rate turn....the full motion Sim will tilt but then very gradually return to level in preparation for other movements.....and our well tuned butts realize that and send its signals to our Brains....where subconsciously the Brains sorts out the inputs from our eyes and conscious side....compares the signals and of course finds a fault indication between the seen and felt and that causes some confusion. Sim Sick is just as bad as Air Sick and strikes everyone at some point if you spend enough time in the Sim.

Engineers can only go so far in defying the Law of Physics in their effort to make Simulators completely duplicate the actual aircraft.

Long answer....but you are correct.