PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The I'm from the internet may soon become reality as RAF training moves to simulators
Old 26th Jul 2021, 13:30
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
I’m not saying I love the idea of spending my time in a simulator either but I’m open minded enough to realise that technology and roles have moved on enough that it is potentially feasible.
I was a Sim Instructor at two different Helicopter Factory Schools and have a love-hate relationship with them.

I love the Sims and the value they provide for realistic training when done right.

I loathe Sim Training when it is not done right....and that far too often is the case.

Simulators are just that....fairly realistic imitations of the real aircraft re its performance and reaction to controls and systems.

They are not perfect but they can be a very valuable tool in maintaining proficiency on skills that are quite perishable.

Flying actual aircraft for routine practices can be a real waste of money and be un-necessary use of the aircraft.

Finding the happy medium between Sims/Procedures Trainers/Systems Trainers and flying the actual aircraft is the key.