PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private aerodrome or airport for training ?
Old 26th Jul 2021, 11:16
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with flybyschool on this; it depends... Back when I went through PPL in Florida, the airport (Fort Pierce/St. Lucie) had GND, TWR, even (as I recall) an APP frequency. All good practice for us who intended to gain (JAA) CPL-ME. Big advantage: we had to get used to a commercial environment, interacting with ATC from day one. Nearby was another controlled airfield (Vero Beach), which was handy for ILS practice (Ft. Pierce had non-precision approaches).

However, I would argue that if the controlled airfield is busy, you may waste time at the holding point or in flight, since ATC will typically give priority to commercial (airline-type) traffic over training aircraft because of cost issues and speed sequencing. In flight training too, time is money... Also, remember that these airfields will typically have landing fees.

Initial flight training from an uncontrolled airfield may save you money since airspace and the lack of ATC will allow 100% of your flight time, from chocks off to chocks on, to be devoted to training. However, if the airspace is busy with other training aircraft, everyone will have to rely 100% on position reports from other traffic.

In a nutshell: the best might be an uncontrolled airfield for the early part of flight training (PPL, night qualification, hours building, maybe MEP), located not far (for short transit times) from an uncrowded controlled airfield for the commercial part (CPL, IR). Of course, different modules of training can also be undertaken in totally different FTOs in different locations, with these demands in mind.

Cheers

Last edited by FougaMagister; 26th Jul 2021 at 15:35.