PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Safety Video - Very Concerning
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2021, 01:36
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nulli Secundus
CASA Safety Education Video - Absolutely Underwhelming!

I have just come across the education section on the CASA website which hosts a safety video entitled Enhancing Pilot Skills – Expect the Unexpected. The presenter is CASA Safety Adviser Kirstie Winter.

In my opinion, I could not believe this is what’s offered as Australian aviation safety material.

Riddled with non-technical errors, it begs the question, how could it ever have been approved for broadcast. Considerable sections of the narration are vague with some dialogue actually conflicting with the slide text. On one occasion the presenter repeats the same line twice.
I can believe they'd offer this level of safety material, but I've seen their offerings over 35 years, and there's a definite method in their madness.

Whenever trying to make sense of something like this, the first question to be asked is the classic "Cui Bono?" Who Benefits? Since CASA's survival as a bureaucracy is dependent on "managing safety", it would threaten their existence if pilots really knew how to fly instead of knowing how to drive an aircraft in the sky by numbers. Once that's understood, their behaviour is easily comprehended, since it's an application of the survival instinct. Without the majority of aviation participants remaining ignorant of the simple truths about flying and safety, their future is ensured.
While I'm sure there'll be violent disagreement with that argument, it'd only be presented by those whose survival is inextricably linked to the maintenance of the status quo, much like political debate about a grand government project being led by a politician who has shares in the company leading the project. That's why the second thing to do is "Follow the money". In this case, the money trail is so complex and convoluted that the true beneficiaries are nowhere near the scene of the crime, but they are there, often hiding in plain sight.