PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky SB-1 flies for first time
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 09:25
IFMU

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by noneofyourbusiness
There is a major difference between a prop and a tail rotor. Answer how the side force is counter-acted when both rotors are tilted in the same direction. Don't just give an arm wave. The reaction torque from a pusher prop is a pure torque. The torque from a tail rotor provides side thrust and moments (above the cg). Conventional helicopters have a much smaller roll torque from the engines. Did you ever take a physics class?

When you get an answer from your bosses at Sikorsky, I am willing to learn and be educated.
I've got no Sikorsky bosses anymore. I moved to another UTC division when they closed Schweizer. I was the responsible engineer for the X2 flight controls though. And yes I've studied physics. Still use it at my space job. You?

You had mentioned the UH60 high tail rotor before. The torque would be the thrust from the tail rotor times the lever arm. Really no torque from the engines as you say. The torque from the X2 propeller would be the power it absorbs times 5252 divided by RPM. I'll leave it to the student to do the math.