PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oakey Aerodrome Airspace
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 02:09
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Oakey Aerodrome Airspace

The ADF at Oakey has advised through AVSef that they will reduce the upper level of the associated airspace to 6,000 feet. This airspace consists of a so-called Military Control Zone and Restricted Areas. I believe that the aerodrome is used to train Australian and foreign military helicopter pilots.
My response to the AVSef request for comments <https://www.avsef.gov.au/qld-proposed-change-internal-divisions-oakey-ctr-and-r654ab> is reproduced below. Your comments are welcome:

Dear Flight Commander,

While I do not object to the ADF returning 2500 feet of airspace to civilian use, I do query why the ADF still needs so much airspace to train helicopter pilots.

The training of helicopter pilots is conducted at many civilian aerodromes, the majority of which, if they are controlled, consist of small Class D control zones coupled with "Training Areas", which are declared Danger Areas.
If CASA OAR believes that this arrangement is "fit for purpose" (a phrase they use often in airspace reviews) for civilians, then why does the training of military helicopter pilots require the vast amount of airspace that is in place at Oakey? Are they less competent than their civilian counterparts or does the ADF encourage them not to keep a lookout for other aircraft? I would have thought that was a basic skill for a military pilot.

Another issue that needs rectification is the use of the term "Military Control Zone". The Airspace Act and Regulations do not give CASA OAR the power to create such airspace. They may declare an aerodrome as controlled and they may determine the airspace class. They may also declare P, R, and D areas for the military, but neither of these includes a red-dotted "Military" Control Zone, or the ability of the ADF to include the airspace Class C on charts. The airspace should either be a Control Zone with a CASA declared airspace class, or a Restricted Area with a level of service remark in ERSA. The latter would give the ADF the ability to vary the class of service as detailed in ERSA, the former does not.

I suggest that the Army starts training helicopter pilots in real-world airspace conditions, and that Oakey airspace be reduced to the same "fit for purpose" dimensions in which their civilian colleagues are required to train.
This would also restore the "equitable access" requirement which is contained in both the nationally applicable Airspace Act and Regulations.

Kind Regards

Geoff Fairless