PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 00:26
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
The UK counts dying from any cause within 4 weeks of a positive test in their "Covid Deaths" summary. I am led to believe they have now moved exclusively to (2), but it still does not differentiate someone dying with Covid from someone dying because of Covid.

You could die from a heart attack or stroke within those 28 days and it'll still count towards their "Death by Covid" statistics. I do not have the time nor inclination to try to find and go through their published cause-of-death statistics to try to determine any significant differences from previous years for each listed cause of death. You're more than welcome to if you so desire...
I believe you might be being a little disingenuous here, saying ‘The UK counts…’. Your source is a Public Health England document, which is not the same as the Office of National Statistics. Your PHE document itself states, as a limitation of its data, that ‘the PHE data series does not report cause of death, and as such represents deaths in people with COVID-19 and not necessarily caused by COVID-19.’ It’s quite open about that. Whereas the ONS data (which I would assume is the official figure) has to have had Covid recorded on the death certificate.