PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fast Jets To Practice Dispersal Off MOBs
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 15:28
RAFEngO74to09

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
The article - originally in The Telegraph - got ahead of itself by jumping on the old Jaguar video and The Drive went along with it.

Clearly any dispersal is going to be to former military airfields - attempting to be as covert as possible with a minimum visible footprint - or civilian airfields.

I was the Project Officer the last time this was tried - 2 x Tornado GR1 in a simulated nuclear strike role - landed at dusk on a non-flying unit then in current military ownership - shut down on the waterfront in front of a vacant 1930s hangar - towed in rapidly - with tractor and parallel GSE towing attachment (as used for 2 in a HAS).

Held at RS15 using a secure comms briefcase that converted a BT phone into a secure one.

From release, was able to tow aircraft to waterfront with APU (with containment mod fitted) started inside hangar, start and get airborne well within 15 minutes.

However, although all trades coverage was achieved within the 2 x 3-man launch teams, this would have been for diagnosis of any snags only - no spares on site.

My conclusion was that you could completely disperse the UK-based Tornado GR1 Strike Force but to make it work properly you would need a new-buy logistics tail of C4I box bodies, 4-ton trucks, 5-ton trailers to put GSE on (like the Harrier Force did) and a larger spares pool - clearly unaffordable.