PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Fly or Not To FLY?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2003, 06:51
Jeffrey S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil To Fly or Not To FLY?

Hi there fellow aviators.

My name is Jeffrey. I was studying for my PPL at my local aerodrome as a first step to ATPL.....However in september 2003 i received a call from Oxford Aviation about an Airline Preparation Programme i applied for, and the lady said that she would like to invite me to the selection process. I have some questions to you pilots that if you could possibly answer very kindly, i would be much appreciative.

Q #1 Every time i visit this website, i hear of many, many qualified "type rated" pilots being made redundant, especially by the UK carriers. Now.. i am a very keen aviator but do you think its rather a bad time to start to embark on such a career? I would love to now i am in a job where i have the potential to earn £80-100K per year, so as to pay for it but i have the funds already from a house sale.

Q #2... I have been advised by my physiotherapist NOT to fly anymore because of the state of my back....to cut a long story short, this is due to the fact that i was a former Domestic Appliance Engineer for the country's largest Domestic Appliance Manufacturers (Its obvious who this is..) lugging 8 Stone Washer drums about, Coupled with the fact that i had an accident in my van whilst at work, causing whiplash and lumbar injuries which i have to have physio weekly for. Does this mean i will never be able to get my class 1?

Help!!