PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol, Drugs and the industry, heads in the sand
Old 17th Dec 2003, 06:00
Mostly Harmless

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to think that my employer trusts me to act in a responsible and adult like manner. That I am presumed innocent until proven guilty. I have never flown with anyone who was intoxicated, no have I ever flown under the influence of any intoxicant. It is disappointing that anyone would. Therefore, I object to being tested, often treated like a criminal, with little or no recourse in the event of a false positive. (I went through all of this in a former career. I never had the false positive, but during the orientation, we were told that they do happen and “that’s life.” You’re fired and you have no way to appeal that decision.) It is also worth noting that rarely, if ever, that the drug testing is company wide. It’s odd that you don’t see the management, president or the board of directors having to pee in a cup during work hours. How many decisions/deals have been made “under the influence” that resulted in lost money, efficiency and jobs? If it’s fair for me, it’s fair for everyone. If the people running these companies want drug testing, then lead by example.

Just a few thoughts on my part.