PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair interviews and sim assessments - 2
Old 19th Jul 2021, 08:46
aviationinsider2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator2

Hello guys,
after reading through tens of positive comments here and on social networks about you finally reaching your dream job I can’t do anything else but to finally add my opinion regarding your achieved goal AKA buying a right hand pilot seat for 30000 euros.
I have recent personal experience with this airline and from that and from experience of my close friends that are still somehow within this airline one thing is sure. You should think twice before spreading your posts of how grateful you are about getting a chance of joining this airline because this company could actually not care less about you and its pilots. I don't say "employees" intentionally because most of the pilots there are contractors and self-employed guys having nothing to do with this airline legally.
I think it’s a time for a reality check. The reason why you got this job and the pass rate is above 50% is simply because this airline is actually earning money from you. There are recently purchased 737NG, 737MAX and A320 simulators that need to move and fly regularly. And here you are, purchasing the B737 type rating product just at the right time. Regarding this training... Let´s get a little while back to 2019. This airline group had huge plans with its A320 fleet under Lauda AOC. Therefore, they hired hundreds of inexperienced as well as experienced pilots for A320 aircraft. The deal was fully sponsored type rating, uniforms, licence transfer, collective labour agreement, accommodation during the training and much more. When comparing this to the offer most of you are constantly admiring it must sound like a paradise, no? Despite this fact, this deal was considered so bad that lot of the guys I know and that were without a job after Thomas Cook, Adria and other airlines collapsed did not even go for it as the conditions were really low and this airline group was simply not worth their qualities.
Now, did this airline care about all its money invested to all those new A320 pilots when the pandemic struck the world? And once again, we are talking about millions of euros worth of type rating courses... No, they didn’t care. Many of those A320 guys, that the airline invested let’s say 40000 euros in each, are gone (fired during the pandemic) and the company doesn't care. Yes, there were some possibilities for some of the fired pilots to get back in the company when aviation picked up a bit in summer 2020 but the newly offered conditions were so low that lot of those fired guys rather stayed home unemployed with their freely obtained fresh A320 type rating and are waiting for acceptable conditions for work. On this example you can clearly see that this airline group will not hesitate to get rid of you when they don’t need you. And the fact is that they don’t.
Now what is the scenario that is waiting for you? You will spend 30000 euros for the type rating and earn almost no money during the line training. I am sure you will fly as hell during your line training while earning 1000 euros a month. You will make loads of IG pictures and chat with your type rating group colleagues how good decision joining this airline was. But then? The best case scenario is that you will become a contractor with no basic salary and only a flight pay. That means 0 euros a month during the winter months and pandemic times and to be honest like 1000 euros a month in summer season and non-pandemic times with current terms and conditions... The second and more probable option is that that you will become a self-employed pilot. It does not only mean 0 flying hours and 0 euros earning in most of the months but it also means you will be liable for you health insurance, taxation and many more. What I personally believe the most is the option when you won´t be offered any job after your line check and you will be responsible for maintaining your type rating current to be able to re-join when the aviation picks up. That can happen within a year or years... And that is the most probable case in my eyes as I see the aviaion picture every day on my own eyes.
I understand that aviation is a great passion for you guys but being a professional pilot is a job as any other and if it does not cover you bills then it simply have no sense to do it and you should wait for an appropriate job offer. Please, I know a bunch of guys that are at home since autumn 2020. They earn nothing, they do not receive any state aid and they are fighting hard to put a bread on the table from a job in warehouse. I would like to ask you to read my genuine and honest post once again, think about your options and maybe just go outside and ask. Find some guys that are currently within the airline, ask them how much they fly, ask the how much they earn. I am sure that 99% of those guys will tell you to not join right now, stand by and come back when right time comes. By joining right now you will help to deteriorate terms and conditions for you and for your future colleagues within the european aviation. If you wait a bit there will for sure be a moment when it will be a good idea to join and obtain a decent contract with training provided by the company. If you join right now, as soon as the winter/corona hits you will be sitting at home, thinking of your 100000 euros debt hoping to re-join in upcoming months for 5 flying hours a month.