PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Degree UNSW, Swinburne for Future 2025
Old 19th Jul 2021, 01:34
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
My advice would be forget the degree, spend the next 5-10 years in another Industry. Build up your confidence (and cash), people management skills, General life experience. Most people at 18, then 30 are completely different people. I sit next to a bloke who was a engineer in another industry for 15 years. He got his CPL at 33. He sits next to me now at 40. All self funded via GA. I also sit next to 25yr olds. Completely different pilots. One group is lazy and struggles vs the other, I’ll let you guess which one.

I would be more focused on what GA job you could get in 5 years vs Airlines. It shouldn’t take too long to move up the ladder as the Airlines start poaching the regional and GA pool, then the regionals start going for the GA guys and so on...

I worked in recruitment in a previous operator. I did not even factor a degree into who I gave the job to. Just be mindful as the universities are very desperate for revenue at the moment. Careful what they promise.