PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Inconvenient Truth
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2021, 23:19
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
I cannot understand why it is apparently so hard for TPTB to admit that mistakes were made.
The people involved are mostly retired, settling the issue would just cost a few million pounds, why let this fester?
With respect, I don't think you have quite grasped the situation, etudiant. Yes, those who perpetrated the original and devastating attack on UK Military Air Safety are long retired but unfortunately succeeding serving VSOs have continued to cover up their actions, blaming resultant airworthiness related fatal air accidents on subordinates, sometimes even on the crews themselves. The good of the Star Chamber it seems outweighs the good of the Service. That serves to illustrate the lack of duty of care that pervades those high echelons. So they all have something to lose if they followed your advice (advice which is of course to be applauded).

Because of the cover up the official line is that the time of the subversion of UK Military Air Safety was a Golden Period as per the Nimrod Review. The official line to this day is that the pilots were negligent in contrast to what SoS Fox announced in the HoC. The official line today is that the Military Air Regulator and Air Accident Investigator (they are to all intents and purposes one and the same) is independent of the MOD while still being a part of it. Most such fiction is pedalled here frequently by the MOD's apologists. Oh, and no, the cost is already many billions, quite apart from the tragic cost in lives, and will be many billions more because the meaningful reform of UK Military Air Safety requires the Regulator and Accident Investigator to be independent of the MOD and of each other. That won't happen unless the cover up ceases, as the first thing that one or the other will do will be to expose the gross negligence and illegal acts of RAF VSOs in the 80s/90s and of the cover up since by other RAF VSOs, when the various accidents that resulted are properly investigated at long last and the long hard road of rebuilding UK Military Airworthiness truly commences.

Read the book, where else do you think I get this stuff?