PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Part 91 and oxygen requirements
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2021, 23:18
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Clearedtoreenter
Not expensive? The cost of maintaining a simple plumbed in system in something like a Cessna turbo single is unbelievable. The bottle and regulator have to be overhauled every 3 years and costs circa $4K and there’s only about one place in the country that can do it…. (And don’t they know it!) The green bottle has a life of 14? years and about $8k to replace. Whilst your local welder might be happy to fill up your portable bottle for a beer or two, a plumbed in system done in the aircraft can be $200 a shot from your authorised aviation oxy supplier. Dead simple? Maybe, but oxygen can be quite dangerous and some knowledge and precautions are necessary. It would be nice to hop over a bit of occasional fluff and ice at 10K for a few minutes without all of that paraphernalia and expense.
Way to cherry-pick what I said there. I was specifically talking about portable systems there. I even went and added all the costs and such. It's hard to have a proper, robust discussion when people clearly choose not to read what's been said, it's a real concerning confirmation bias there.