PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midway
Thread: Midway
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2021, 18:33
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundloop
There is nothing wrong with CGI. What is wrong is how it is used to produce something totally unrealistic. As stated, the aircraft are FAR too close together. "Red Tails" was similar. I suppose they think it makes it far more exciting to those "not in the know" but for those who are it is simply laughable and spoils the whole film;.
Totally agree. Good special effects - regardless of how it's done - shouldn't attract attention to themselves as you are watching. It should seamlessly blend into the movie plot, then later on you reflect back on the movie and think 'how the hell did they film that scene?'. One of my all time favorites is the scene in "Terminator 2" - where the 'bad' terminator jumps the motorcycle out of the building and grabs onto the helicopter. Watching it, it just seems part of the movie - later on 'how did they do that', then watching it again you can dissect the different shots that were spliced together to make the scene.
In contrast, because of this thread I re-watched the 2019 Midway remake last night (I have it on Blu-Ray 4k - most of the time 4k is amazing, but for this movie it may actually be a determent by emphasizing the falseness of the CGI). The plot isn't bad (aside from some horribly unrealistic details), but so much of the CGI special effects had my mind screaming "THAT'S SO FAKE". Contrast that to say "Avatar" - where you can watch most of the movie without ever thinking about the fact that 10 ft. tall blue humanoids don't really exist...