PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acronyms and other gobbledygook
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2021, 00:24
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
When I flew civilian Bell 212s for the UN.
The UN always had an ex-military fellow as “Chief Air Staff Officer”. Some were great guys, others - not so much.
My “Tasking” for today?
Don’t know, what does the “Frago” say?
“Wait one!” Just “Hang Fire” and I’ll “Reach out” to “Command Authority”. Then we’ll “impact our options”.
Nothing like a good dose of jargon to start the day.
“Reach Out” sounds like a panhandler in the street asking for a handout. Especially when what is actually needed is to loudly sound reveille in the upper reaches of the organization in New York.
Of course because of time zones it’s 0700 where you are and midnight in NYC and they only work from 0900 to 1600 Monday to Friday. No one is there Sat. and Sun. plus they don’t work on holidays and at the UN there are lots of holidays. “ No one is working in that office today because the person in charge is from XXXX and today is their national day”.
Need quick decisions? Be prepared to wait 3-4 daze minimum for a reply and if it a hard decision they start ignoring your message immediately until they can delete your email and put the hard copies through the paper shredder. “Request? What request?” Trust me don’t make an issue of this or the co-operation level will totally flat line.
The search for the “Weapons of Mass Distraction” in Iraq before the last “Operation Frequent Manhood” was run from NYC. Oh what “fun” we had…how little we accomplished.
Sorry for the thread drift.