PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changes to the system
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2021, 10:31
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year did ASA change aerodrome prefixes from e.g. ABDV to YBDV.

I recall it went from A to Y almost overnight with little advance notice.
As above it would have been in the early 90's. There was no consultation whatsoever including the then RAPACs. The AOPA president of the day was Peter Patroni who wrote a letter to the Dept of many names setting out the situation and objecting to the way it was introduced without any consultation etc. Every word of the letter started with a "Y". I wish I still had a copy, it was a classic! From what I recall the change was instigated by Australia. By the time everyone found out about it, it was already on the books internationally and could not be changed. It was managed by a team of two, one of which was a lady and consulation was not in their manual at that time!

For info:
On 30 November 1973 the DCA merged with the Department of Shipping and Transport and became the Department of Transport, Air Transport Group. This group was again reformed as its own Department on 7 May 1982, the Department of Aviation (DOA). Another merger took place on 24 July 1987 when the DOA was absorbed by the Department of Transport and Communications. On 1 July 1988 the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) was formed to control aviation safety regulation and provide air traffic services.