PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midway
Thread: Midway
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2021, 00:30
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Midway movies

Originally Posted by tdracer
SAS - which version of the movie, the 1976 original, or the 2019 remake? I think they both have pluses and minuses, but the excessive use of CGI in the remake really annoyed me.
I think Dusty Kleiss should have been used for the focal for the remake - he would have been a far better choice.

There was a very good documentary on the Smithsonian Channel a while back - memory says it was called "Battle of Midway - The True Story" (or something close to that) that featured Dusty Kleiss prominently.

Edit to add:
Found it - available to stream from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Midway.../dp/B08175Y46L

I have probably seen everyMidway film made plus documentaries and personal accounts…..and I watch most simply to be entertained. The latest one did not win me over as I too got a bit tired of the animation being a bit repetitive but the I suppose every attack on a Carrier was some what the same too.

I prefer reading over film when it comes to details and facts. Having some experience being the duck in a shooting gallery perhaps that allows me to visualize what it must have been like.

I am an old movie fan….and prefer black and white over color…..so I have to say the earlier versions are better.

As to imagination,…..imagine being in a torpedo bomber running in towards the Japanese fleet, having no Fighter cover, or dive bombers to divert enemy Fighters….seeing all of your Squadron shot down….along with yourself….hitting the water and then hiding under a seat cushion to avoid being killed or captured….then watching successful attacks and later being rescued as the sole survivor of your Squadron.