PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Seeks Zero Emissions Trainer
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2021, 08:31
Blackfriar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
I think this initiative should be looked at from a glass half full perspective, At present it would seem to me the bean counters are doing everything in their power to reduce the amount of time studes actually spend in an flying airplane. I would suggest that we are at or at least very close to a practical electric 2 seat trainer with the performance to meet the primary and basic flying curriculum.

I think everyone should be banging the drum on the message that instead of spending money on simulators the services should be spending money on electric airplanes. Throw in the usual virtue signaling buzz words like enabling zero emission technologies, encouraging climate friendly enterprises, funding technology incubators, public private partnership to a green future; and future proofing air capabilities; and the mandarins will eat it up.

The end result is instead of more and more time in some "ground based learning device "the future Air Force guys and gals get more actual airtime. What's not to like about that ?
Starting everyone off on winch-launched gliders would be a useful start. Electric or hydrogen/fuel cell powered if you want to be uber-green, loads of launches, circuits and landings would be good for every pilot. 30 winch launches in 2 and half days with three solos was a fantastic grounding even if every flight was 3 mins or less.
Making a decision and picking a field was certainly good training for Sully on the Hudson. RAF trainee pilots currently kicking their heels waiting for a training slot would be better employed learning in a VGS, then training cadets instead of shuffling paper or whatever they are doing.