PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2021, 22:27
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
I’m Glad Gladys is taking the current approach and not “falling in to line” as the emperor of the West calls it.
This is Berejiklian yesterday:Berejiklian warned unless there was a turnaround, the lockdown could be extended beyond the three weeks.

“Unless there is a dramatic change, unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the numbers, I can’t see how we would be in a position to ease restrictions by next Friday,” she said.

The NSW premier talked down health minister Brad Hazzard’s earlier comments that the state might have to learn to live with the virus, and said case numbers would need to be as close to zero as possible before lockdown would end.

“No state or nation or any country on the planet can live with the Delta variant when our vaccination rates are so low. So please, do not think that the NSW government thinks we can live with this when our rate of vaccination is only at 9%,” she said.

“When you only have 9% of your community vaccinated, opening up before you get as close to that zero number as possible, it means you would subject thousands and thousands to hospitalisation and death.”

“I don’t want anyone to feel like that. But if you are not doing the right thing, please know that we will have to have the law come down on you, because the simple fact is, people doing the wrong thing means that all of us suffer,” she said.

I don’t see how that differs from the basic approach every other state is taking or is “learning to live with” the virus.