PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Seeks Zero Emissions Trainer
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2021, 10:06
NutLoose

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
I have a virtually zero carbon solution. A good old fashioned wood and canvas glider. We could use the growing of the materials to offset any carbon. To launch we go back to the ridge idea but this time a cliff, Build a launch ramp out of wood - more carbon offset. To launch we tie a length of hemp rope, more carbon offset, to a scrap Tesla battery for poetic justice. Pass the rope over a pulley and attach the other end to the Ottfur on the glider. Balance the battery on the lip of the ramp then give it a gentle nudge so it falls off, launching the glider into the air. I reckon that is as near zero carbon at the point of use as you can get. I call it the Colditz system.

To retrieve the launch cable, a light line previously attached to the cable near the pulley on the glider side, could be lowered down the cliff. Tie an empty canvas bucket to the other end. As the battery plummets the bucket rises. To get the battery back, fill the bucket with water, we may need a sizeable bucket but it is canvass so not too difficult to make. Bucket falls, battery rises. When bucket hits the bottom, the water spills out and we are good to go again. As green as they come I reckon! Sometimes I even surprise myself.

Now where's my Herbert Lott?

But what about the fuel you would burn excavating cliffs all over the UK.?