PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 8th Jul 2021, 02:00
430W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
And do you think that there is no commercial arrangement between Boeing (and Airbus) and 'operators' that covers that access?

Access to documentation is most assuredly not free. Boeing don't plaster

over their documents for no good reason.
I'm not going to do the rounds on this.

While it is a while since I got these documents from Boeing, that is not the case with Airbus. They are freely available on Airbus World without limitation and it is in the manufacturers interest to hope any operator uses the syllabus provided and I can assure you CASA insist on it in the Part 142 approval process if you want approval to do type ratings on that particular aircraft. You can add more or move things or the order around but they will tick off each and every item in the syllabus to make sure it is covered.

In the case of Airbus there was no fee for the syllabus just as there were no fees for a lot of the other great publications they produce in the interest of safety and training. There were fees for other technical support.

In case I wasn't clear there is no IP that "VA" could claim in regards to this unless their documents were copied in toto and you just don't need to do that as everything is easily available and why would Rex open themselves up to it. I'm no fan of Rex and certainly do not believe they should have been subsidised to enable them to start this operation but even I think they are smarter than that.

End of it for me. Got better things to do.