PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afghanistan 2021 Onwards
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2021, 13:05
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"I’m curious, as you’ve popped up on every thread of this nature with a similar sentiment"

Because when I see people making the same mistake over and over again I feel despair.

History proves that foreigners intervening in places like the Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo, etc leads to a disaster for all parties. They have very serious problems and these can't be fixed by a few foreigners coming in hoping to change things in a few years using military strength or money or people. They have to sort themselves out.

Using your logic the United States should have sat out WWI and WWII, Korea, The Suez Canal, Vietnam, Gulf War I, not supported Israel, Somalia, or even the Cold War I suppose.

I do fully agree with your despair over making the same mistakes over and over....it is not the jumping in that is the major mistake....it is why and how that causes the problems.

The last real War we fought was WWII...the rest have been "limited Wars"....and we can see how all of those have turned out.

If we are to engage in War...it must be done to win by destroying the enemy's ability and will to fight.....with no limit to how it is done.

ROE's, Lawyers, and the reluctance to get right down to the business of destroying the enemy is our Achilles Heel.