PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2021, 07:15
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
Nope you’ve read it wrong.

From the 1st March
- 458 total cases
- 11 of the those cases were in fully vaccinated travellers
- 405 were unvaccinated.

If you consider that as a percentage of arrivals:
- 1st March to 26th June (15.5 weeks)
- NSW takes 3000 per week
- 46,500 arrivals.

So those 11 FULLY VACCINATED positive cases represent 0.0002% of all arrivals.
Yep, I'll cop that and I agree my figures were wrong.
Originally Posted by aviation_enthus
But don’t let some facts get in the way of your irrational fear.
It's only irrational if it isn't based on fact.

Given the response of various state Premiers so far to relatively insignificant numbers of cases, when viewed against population, I'd argue it is completely rational! Take McGowan, no local cases in my LGA since time began, but still locked out - and based on his CHO's 'irrational fear' it doesn't look like I]'ll be going back to work anytime soon. So much for science-driven decisions. The complete lockout is nothing more than scaremongering and political point scoring.

Originally Posted by dr_dre
I know McGowan is loathed here but 3 quick lockdowns and it’s over in a few days. 12 days in total. Now Sydney is looking at 21 days minimum.
I wouldn't bother comparing WA to NSW, look at how many each state has taken in international arrivals, both raw data and as percentages of the Australian population. WA doesn't hold a candle to NSW in that regard. In the period April 20-April21 (last month for which figures are available) Perth took 35,896 international arrivals. Sydney took 165,018. And let's not forget McGowan is often the first to whine about the number of arrivals, agreeing to take 1000/week, and being pretty quick to drop it to 500-odd if something happens he doesn't like. Fewer arrivals = lower risk = fewer outbreaks = fewer lockdowns and the smug asrehole has the gall to say "look how good we are, everyone should learn from us!"

Originally Posted by neville_nobody
Sure but at what price? You can argue endlessly about which strategy is best but the other States need to realise how big Sydney is and you can't just keep grinding to halt every time someone sneezes.

If they just let it go, it could bankrupt an airline or both as all the other states won't open up to them.
That'd be an interesting argument if Gladys wanted to play that game. Declare "No more international arrivals via Sydney - you other Premiers want Aussies to come home, you step up and carry the load, we've got our own issues" and just see how long it took for other states to give in. Melbourne could pick up a bit of the slack, Anna-Stayaway would probably baulk at it. But how long until one of the other premiers blinked in the game of chicken? Or forced ScoMo's hand should QF/VA/Rex go to the wall with interstate travel at a fraction of what it should be?