PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine IFR Charter - The History
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2021, 04:16
PPRuNeUser0131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would I do it?

I wanted to fly. What else was I supposed to do?

I never lost sight of the fact that flying is hazardous. I made sure (or at least tried to ensure & that must have worked as i am still here) that I didn’t get killed by stupidity (mine) or someone else’s negligence. But how much is someone else’s f’up hidden and only discoverable when it goes wrong? Is that a reason to never take-off, because I could be killed by something that I have no control over?

I didn’t design nor make those aircraft. It was what it was.

An engine failure in a single from those two runways would not have been an amusing event either. But I would still do it.

It is a risk that I accepted. I was trained for and briefed myself on what actions I would take with an EFATO, every time, without fail.

Even flying around the Archerfield circuit in those days (the triple runway system) was a life-threatening event. But I still did it.

Driving a car, parachuting, crossing the road, going for a surf can all end up fatal. But I did them. A risk is a risk. You either take the risk or stay at home and die in bed.

It all comes down to my opinion of the odds of it happening.

P.S. Those stats were given to me by BASI. The point of quoting them was to demonstrate my belief that the odds of killing yourself increase dramatically in a twin versus a single in an EFATO scenairo.