PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2021, 00:26
Torukmacto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cowering entitlement!

Not since the Fall of Singapore in 1942 have so many Australians around the globe been abandoned. Those dark times were compounded by the fact we were at war.

The attitudes of the Australian public to fellow Australians abroad has been a disgrace. Akin to blaming bushfire victims for living in the bush, flood victims for living near rivers. Now, the public hysteria and abandonment of overseas Australians has been turned into political mileage. Distracting politicians and Australians alike, from not only the systemic failure of government in meeting the first challenge of the century ( God help us if war involving near-peer adversaries such as China ) but also the decency on what it took to build this country on the basis of immigration and diversity last century.

There are simple, pragmatic solutions to what we have have faced with a million Australians abroad that don't involve mixing them all up in a failed hotel quarantine system. It is not difficult nor impossible to ensure returning Aussies vaccinated from countries offering such. Look at our top 15 trading partners and at least half would be viable in having returnees vaccinated or at least government sponsored programs. COVID vaccinated and tested returnees pose little risk.

I don't doubt that when Australians start travelling again, the masses with the screw the Aussies abroad and raise the drawbridge attitude, will expect the Australian government to come rescue them and their families from any troubles they may experience. Terrorism, natural disasters or consular support from being "banged up abroad".

Cowering fools and bogans

Exactly ,
Not that long ago a generation offered the ultimate sacrifice to defend the country now we won’t risk a jab for a better future . Happy to leave the next generation paying off our debts so we can sit at home feeling safe . Get the impression many feel entitled to having a life of no sacrifices and leave to others for protection . It’s governments job to keep me safe it’s unions job to protect my job while I offer nothing but take everything .