PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proportion of synthetic flying in the future
Old 5th Jul 2021, 15:28
DuckDodgers

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn
DD, whilst not strictly true, my point is that Draken (Blackstone) is not run under the traditional board construct and shareholders and they’re significantly more forward leaning when it comes to developing an agile platform solution - build it and they will come mantra is often used. Leasing is an option if BD get their act together. M-346 is well known for its expense so is perhaps not the best example. As I’ve said before, there are many older standard of Gripens sat around that the company couldn’t offload; leasing is a tasty proposition that could work for both parties. Equally, there are countries (Far East) that have developed training/light attack aircraft similar to M-346 that have been unable to sell to market. I wouldn’t be so certain about the KSA and what’s happening there….
KAI's FA-50 is an interesting one and their default position is not to engage with private entity, this is why ITPS in Canada needs to be watched closely as to whether anything comes of the MoU that was signed in November 2020. I presume this is why SkyAlyne are working with LM vice KAI to offer T-50 for FACT to the DND as the owner / lessor will be a private entity? Either way to lease that jet over 10 years at say 300hrs a year and factoring in Direct Platform Costs, Indirect Platform Costs, Other Direct Costs, Labour, Fuel, Profit etc you are still looking at circa $24K per hour which isn't overly stupid for what's a great little aircraft.

Gripen is interesting, we all know the Gripen Aggressor was just marketing nonsense from Saab. What needs understanding is the disposition of the 204 jets built for Sweden which is roughly as follows: 28 leased to CZE / HUN, 12 G2G sale to Thailand, 7 written off, 24 in store for disposal or Sale, 32 dismantled/partially dismantled for spare, 7 in reserve for SWE, 4 used for Gripen NG demos, 2 in museums and 88 in SWE AF. The key is understanding how many of the Gripen C will be retained beyond 2026 and what the drawdown profile looks like for 4 of the 6 current Gripen squadrons.

However, both platforms use the GE F404 engine and tech data transfer could be an issue, particularly to a non-US private entity.