PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2021, 01:43
Chronic Snoozer

Received 333 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by WingNut60
People have asserted that as being his avowed aim however I have seen nothing that shows that to be the case.
I saw a very brief clip on the news where he responded briefly about the possible benefit of ongoing border controls however he did not say anything specific in that interview.
It was later reported as ".......Mr McGowan would not rule out extending the G2G application system beyond the pandemic, arguing it had been effective in keeping not just COVID-19 out, but also illicit drugs such as methamphetamine......."
My recollection is that it was a very short, almost throw-away reply to a leading question.
I'm calling "fake news" on that one.

Perhaps he made those assertions in a different interview in which case I'd be interested to see the footage.

As for the mis-use of the Covid check-in app, I agree.
A terrible abuse of trust for which all responsible should be held to account.
I am further interested to know whatever happened to the promise to permanently delete records after 28 days.
Records older than 28 days can be of no further use for legitimate contact tracing.
So, are they being deleted?
Here you go. McGowan backflip. Make of the reporting what you will.

Asked specifically whether incoming travellers would need to continue using the G2G pass, the premier said he couldn’t predict exactly what restrictions might remain.
It wasn’t what he said, it’s what he didn’t say. Journos will read into things far more than politicians intend. Alternatively, it’s possible politicians intend for things to be interpreted in a particular way.

But hours later, Mr McGowan backtracked, confirming the G2G pass system would “obviously” be scrapped when the pandemic ended.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bre...93fb0f0bd85acb

If he wasn’t even contemplating it why not provide a direct ‘NO’ when asked if the G2G pass would continue post pandemic? McGowan was most likely just thinking out loud.