PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR final approach course not aligned with runway
Old 4th Jul 2021, 23:47
mmm345

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To be fair, i see where your coming from but i think there is an important difference. Im from AUS so it might vary globally

however lets say yo get to the bottom of an instrument approach and its completely clear, clear, no vis problems or clouds and your in day vmc, it satisifes the operations below LSALT requirements ( 4. Day VMC of the CAR's in AUS), and as a result you can do what you want.

However, if you have been cleared for a certain IAP at a controlled AD, they expect and you are required to follow the IAP and its asscoiated rules with aligning to the centreline ( unless request and recleared VAP), which is AUS is ( within circling area, visual ref to runway and continuously insight Ground and water). Additionally, if by night or in less than VMC, ( you can be visual with the runway yet in less than VMC by means of less than 5km vis or not in sight of ground/water below 2000ft AGL), you have to follow the IFR IAP alignment with runway following a NPA offset approach Requirements.

The rules are written for a reason, and i totally get that lets say your half way down the approach, break into clear skies and perfect vis at some uncontrolled AD and you can now conduct a VAP, thats cool as long as you can satisfy the VAP requirements, ( 5km vis, clear of cloud, insight of Ground and water etc). However , if you are cleared for a certain IAP or at a uncontrolled AD however are conducting an IAP and sight the runway in less than VMC, you must follow the approariate NPA alignment with centreline procedures.

In Australia they are.