PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2021, 11:40
nickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting thread. My answer is no, and I will explain why.

25 years as an airline pilot, of which 20 in the middle East, 16 as a widebody Captain. I can confirm all the pros and cons given before by previous posters.
End of 2019 I resign from my employer to relocate to the Old Continent, LHS for a big LCC, decided on a comfortable start date in April just to take a few months off to move back from the sandpit, relax a bit and get ready to start the new adventure. March 2020, hello Covid, joining is cancelled but don't worry we'll call You soon. Chaos explodes, thousands of pilots are made redundant worldwide, HR stops replying and finally comes back with something like "well it's messy my friend, good luck !"
Time goes by, no-one is hiring, recency expires, no last flight within 12 months to apply for one of the very few jobs around the world and all the jobs are on the A320, which I hadn't flown for 20 years (although I have about 14k hours on A330/340/380).
I've got dozens of former colleagues in my position. Just find me another field where this could have happened.