PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 02:10
Sue Ridgepipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not regret my decision as would much rather ride out a pandemic here
I'm actually the opposite of this - I'm glad I decided not to return as I'm fortunate to be in a place where life is relatively normal, we haven't had any lockdowns, new case numbers are very low, I've recieved both doses of my preferred vaccine and I'm still lucky enough to have a job and being paid. Sure the money is less than what I was getting when flying a full roster, but it's more than enough to survive on and still put some away.

IMHO the way the Australian politicians (especially state premiers) have been carrying on during this pandemic is an absolute disgrace, and the on-again-off-again lockdowns would be enough to drive you mad, so I'm more than happy not to have to put up with that. The same with panic buying in the supermarkets and people abusing health officials at vaccination centres.

Of course it's still home, and it's frustrating not to be able to come and go freely, but I made the choice not to return for a visit whilst they still have the quarantine requirements in place for overseas arrivals. It'll probably be next year at the earliest before that will be an option, which means it will have been over 2 years between visits for me, but I know others who have been happy to go home and serve the quarantine time. Good for them, that's their choice. I still think I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in as I know there are many trying to return but for various reasons they cannot, also there are many expats that have lost jobs and some will more than likely never fly again. It's a mad world at the moment and I'm happy to ride things out where I am, but I do miss home.