PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One eye pulsing with heartbeat.... a bit worried
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 00:42
RobRoyUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May be able to help with this one

Hey everyone,

I may be able to help with this one.

I’m 52 and have had an ache in my left eye for 8 years, noticeable but not enough to really worry, hasn’t really got worse. I had a bad root canal with some infection in the jaw in the past that I subsequently had curetted out so had put it down to that.

A few weeks ago I too went through a PVD which I also had never heard about before, my experience was similar to others, flashing lights, floaters, visit to an eye hospital to be informed about PVD and retinal check, came up OK.

I had previously had a brain MRI for orgasmic headache, to rule out aneurism (all clear) and the MRI had said to have a subsequent MRI and MRV on the orbit to check for Intercranial Hypertension. I subsequently had the MRV and MRI and results came back as evidence of Intercranial Hypertension (IH). This presented as fluid in the optic nerve sheath and slightly flattened pineal gland. The IH had not seemed to have got worse in the time I have experienced eye pain (IH creates pressure on the back of the eye) so I am not overly worried, as MRI and MRV ruled out tumours, aneurisms and most nasty causes,

if no cause found will likely be diagnosed as IIH (Idiopathic Intercranial Hypertension), this is what the GP told me is most likely. I’m booked in to see a Neuro Surgeon in a couple of weeks to check not other causes and get advice.

From my reading IIH is often treated with Lumbar Puncture and sometimes self resolves afterwards.

Now the reason I say all of this is I too have the pulsing in my left eye in time with my heartbeat and I am thinking because of the increased pressure on the back of the eye from the IIH this is the cause, whereas it wouldn’t normally be a part of PVD.

IIH is pretty rare and the combination with PVD, which is not well informed, may be the reason why there is not much information on the possible combined outcome of the two together, which may be this pulsing some are experiencing.

I will let you know what the Neuro Surgeon say and if I end up getting a Lumbar Puncture whether that cures the symptom.

Hope this all helps!