PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 20:56
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
BV :-
It is also worth remembering I am an operator not a policy man and in-depth discussions of airworthiness are not my area of expertise. I can assure you though that if I was concerned about the safety of my aircraft I would not strap into it. Thus far that has not been a problem.
And there in a nutshell is the problem. Let me add immediately that I shared that same attitude back when. The difference is that I was fortunate to have served when airworthiness was run by the experts that have since been replaced by placemen, and under an RAF leadership that respected those experts and took their advice. I would further add that it was only after I retired that I learned about airworthiness and how the lack of it in UK Military Aviation has caused very many deaths and goes on doing so. I learned about it here, in this very forum. I learned about it from tucumseh and other experienced engineers who have testified here about the monstrous attack on UK Military Air Safety by RAF VSOs and of the cover up of their actions since by other RAF VSOs. So you are not alone by any means Bob.

However, the difference is that my good fortune meant that airworthiness related accidents were few and when they happened immediate remedial action was taken. The best example I can think of was the grounding of the Hastings fleet (some 80 aircraft around the world) following the crash of Hastings TG577 after take off from Abingdon that killed all 41 on board. The failure was discovered by the BoI, and subsequent checks made immediately resulted in the fleet grounded wherever they were. Because proper records had been kept airworthiness was regained slowly as rectification teams completed a complex repair including of course the two bolts that had failed (yes bolts again!). Still the penny didn't drop and I thought of it in terms of serviceability with no inkling of the difference with airworthiness. Civil aviation is no different, I spent more years with the airlines than with the RAF and still blissfully ignorant. If anyone thought about it at all, airworthiness was for the boffins and 'policy makers' as you call them. Fine if they are up to the job and not undermining it to make savings at the cost of safety!

I would respectfully suggest that you start worrying now about the safety of the aircraft you strap into and read Red5 ASAP!