PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VOR final approach course not aligned with runway
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 15:57
chx230

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to line up with runway if the VOR final course is offset?

Hi all,

When I am flying a VOR approach which is several degree offset of the runway. May I deviate from VOR guidance and line up right after visual contact with the runway? Or, I should keep on the VOR final approach course until MDA or some other point, then go visual and line up? Is there any regulation concerning this?

Thank you!

Edit:
Thank you all for replying. For the airport I am planning to go, the VOR is offset due to a mountain alongside of final. It is NOT VOR-A, which require a circle. But only 7 degree offset. I would like to go visual and lineup, make it stable as early as possible. But if so, I may trigger the annoyed EGPWS caution, then have to do a lot of paperwork to report and “justify”. Since I am still under IFR approach even though it is VMC outside and I can see the runway and mountain clearly, I am anxious if I violate any regulation if I deviate from the VOR lateral guidance too early. I can not find any regulation concerning this. It would be appreciate if you can list one. Thank you so much!

Edit:
Thanks to mmm345. For Australia, please refer to #24. But for other countries, I still have not found any specific regulation.

Last edited by chx230; 6th Jul 2021 at 04:58.