PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proportion of synthetic flying in the future
Old 1st Jul 2021, 11:16
Foghorn Leghorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pba_target
Pretty big ask for a private company, especially given UK MoD's reticence to pay big bucks for it (ASDOT collapsed recently, largely on cost grounds). You might be able to get agreement in principle before signing a contract with MoD and making the rest happen, but there's no way something that cost would get through unsolicited and uncompeted.

Plenty of credible partners queued up for ASDOT, so we just need to repeat that with a realistic budget and realistic requirements
I agree with your sentiments but, as I said, it’s down to BD of a company to sort the financing of any platform offered. Initially, it doesn’t have to be a big revenue generation exercise. You offer it with costs covered and then you’ll become the preferred solution and then you negotiate follow on contract with the background of a proven solution.

I also wouldn’t be so sure about the competition being uncompeted and unsolicited post ASDOT, the legal aspects is quite a muddy area. There were only 3 companies down selected for ASDOT and all 3 of those got their fingers burned quite badly in terms of expenditure; would they all want to do that again, who knows?

Alas, the MoD do need to stop with the notion that it’ll only pay chump change but want an Aston Martin solution.