PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 1st Jul 2021, 08:55
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=Bob Viking;11071126]RLE.

BA/BY

With regards to the pin in whilst taxying thing (I haven’t read the book and I’m not likely to, so quoting page numbers won’t help) I’ve never had a problem with it. Clearly some people have and the latest modification to the ejection seat firing handle housing has taken care of that.

Absolutely incredible that someone like yourself is not reading every word of this excellent book. You might just, might, learn something to your advantage, particularly as you are flying the same type, seat.

So you have no problem inserting pins whilst taxi-ing. Yet. BA never had a gear pin problem till their 787 incident at LHR two weeks ago, very expensive but very fortunately without injury. Their procedures WILL no doubt change after the AAIB conclude their investigations.

I am still at a total loss as to why you guys are installing pins whilst taxiing when such a procedure was an absolute no no, for obvious reasons in the interest of safety as described on p33 of the book, in the MUCH bigger RAF during my time. We were not amateurs and I would argue to any court etc. anywhere, that if our procedures had been practiced there is very good chance that this accident would not have occurred

Apart from essential actions for after landing the only place for eyes is outside the cockpit, particularly if taxiing in a formation. Leave the seat pins til shutdown, when you can give it your full and complete attention and a careful visual check, each time every time.

Buying the book may just be one of your best purchases !

( and just to be clear, I was a. RAF standards QFI and an ejectee, so have a close interest in and some knowledge and experience of these matters)

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 1st Jul 2021 at 09:36.