PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 1st Jul 2021, 06:06
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Bob Viking / dctyke

What you're actually highlighting and confirming is that, despite correct information and training being provided, initially by Martin-Baker and then MoD/RAF, poor practices were allowed to develop, and were perpetuated by savings at the expense of safety. (The Nimrod Review in a nutshell). Thank you for that support.

I cannot speak for Bob's case, except to reiterate what was claimed at the Inquest. But the excellent training dctyke was obviously given became impossible to implement due to these cuts. In this case, the demise of seat bays combined with Engineering Authorities issuing illegal Routine Technical Instructions. Who met their legal and moral obligations by reporting these violations? To whom, and what was their reaction?

For example, few, if any, at Scampton or Valley would understand that an RTI was strictly prohibited in this case. But they would all know, intuitively, that something was very wrong. Any trained fitter, of any trade, would know not to torque the drogue shackle nut. (Quite apart from the fact Martin-Baker's instructions said DO NOT TORQUE). So why the hell instruct maintainers to do it? And why (apparently) did no-one go back to the Issuing Authority and say THIS IS BOLLOCKS, DID YOU MISS YOUR FIRST DAY'S TRAINING? As the book says, this is akin to a prospective pilot's first lecture on lift.

The Service Inquiry made the ludicrous claim that no basic engineering principle had been breached. Here's one... The effect of friction. That one claim should, in my opinion, prompt the Chief Engineer to launch a review of engineering training, and for the Convening Authority to reconvene the SI, under a trained engineer. Not to mention it is even more exculpatory evidence in the persecution of Martin-Baker.

Despite your reluctance to read the book it Bob, it is the only place you'll find details of how to avoid recurrence, which is something that anyone in the Services and MoD should, I believe, be keen to learn. However, I know the MAA and legal establishment disagree. But I also know from your posts I'm not a lone voice, another claim MoD has made!