PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded pilot refused fuel in Antarctica
Old 16th Dec 2003, 19:59
coorong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visitors to antartica

Interesting thread about which 2 things emerge. Virtually all real adventure in the Antarctic stopped after Amundsen/Scott/Shackleton. Anything else has had the gloss taken off it because of the resources and technology [radio/materials/GPS/SAR] now available in huge quantities. It is really 'tourist adventure'. Perhaps the next one at the South Pole will be the first to do it wearing an England World Cup rugger shirt.

The second point is that Antarctica is unique in that it is virgin territory and is an open air laboratory for planetary/earth/oceanographic sciences. The more visitors or 'adventurers' who cross it, the more polluted it becomes to the detriment of us all. Every time I work, I am only too aware of how much pollution I cause! I accept this in my country as a necessary evil, but why do this to such a beautiful continent to be praised as an 'adventurer'. I would have more respect for someone who did it by surface means, or is that too dangerous?

BTW, I am planning to be the first person in all human history to fly backwards over an ice cube from my fridge without GPS soon, any sponsors out there?