PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic job prospects
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2021, 10:32
Chief Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt101

Beautifully put.

Surely the devastation that Covid has wrecked on the lives of airline pilots is enough to put people off this career? If I had the choice today knowing how precarious this industry is to events such as pandemics I would have stopped at the PPL stage of training and only flown for fun.

Whilst flying itself is fun and the time off is good, the stress of such only having such a niche skill in a snakes-and-ladders industry really takes the enjoyment out of it.

In a previous career I was respected by management and seen an as asset, with a name. In flying you are treated purely as a number, as an annoyingly expensive necessity to get the aircraft from A to B without killing all the customers. It really sucks to know that you are so easily replaceable and unimportant.

If I could slide into another career with the same pay as flying I would do it, and fly a 172 for fun. When I was an aero-sexual wanabee I could not even fathom the thought of those words coming out of my mouth, that’s how different the perception is to reality.

Buyer beware.