PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol, Drugs and the industry, heads in the sand
Old 16th Dec 2003, 18:49
jalguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angels

Your antennae may be twitching (must be an expensive mod), but we all have to start posts somewhere.

Sometimes we dont want to use our usual names lest we be identified by our carriers.

I live in the US. We have had 35 guys fail since random testing was introduced, including a couple who breathed fumes over security screeners. In June, the FAA finally decided to "toughen" its stance.

I ask again, why are the unions in the UK and NZ, for example, opposing a move which would hopefully show that the employees have nothing to hide?

Why did BA say in October 2000 that it would be introducing random testing in 2001, and then quietly do nothing? If it had, the latest incidents may not have occurred.

Why are the regulators not enforcing legislation already in place?

If they dont look, they dont find anything that will embarrass themselves!

I bet the lawyers are waiting for a passenger to raise a "I could have been killed by the drunk pilot" case. Its only a matter of time.

No one is looking after the rights of the passenger to be flown from A to B by a "clean" crew. The industry needs to clean itself up.

Last edited by jalguy; 16th Dec 2003 at 19:00.