PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlantique DC6 routes
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2021, 10:02
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Regular for years in the mid-1990s was the Saturday late evening run with the Sunday newspapers printed in Manchester to Dublin. Used to visit family at the time just a few miles from WAL VOR, which they would route over at a few thousand feet, it was always audible in the late evening quiet for about five minutes as it approached, and then slowly disappeared along the North Wales coast. I used to go out into the garden to listen, and sometimes see, it pass, and when I didn't visit my mother, doubtless drawing on WW2 experiences of watching my father head off into the night again in his Handley Page Halifax, would report "that aeroplane of yours came over again last niight". Think it normally returned to Coventry, but occasionally could be heard coming back to Manchester again in the middle of the night. Propliner magazine of the era always used to report details in each issue of what they had been doing.

Later on they also, July 2008 I see, came in to the London City airshow, short runway there no issue to them, and on departure performed some nice flypasts, at a time when G-APSA had been decked out in old British Eagle livery for a film (I forget which one).

I believe they also went across to eastern Canada once, causing some ATC confusion with the local service carrier of the era there, Air Atlantic.