PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rolling take offs in a Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2021, 08:03
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar to the S76A+ in the South China Sea. Beep the rotor up to 107%, pull hard up to 100%(+) on both and as it leapt into its tortured path into the air push forward steeply enough so that the boom wouldn't collect the deck as you hurtled over the side. You then plunged towards the sea hoovering up the 200 ft. or so available. 30 knots and the judder would follow and you pulled out of the dive at about 50 ft..
That's the puppy!

Exactly what we used for rig work as well. Unfortunately the Seaking was 'computer' (not recognisable as such by the yoof of today) controlled at 104% NR as set by the speed select levers. The collective pitch anticipators would help in maintaining rotor speed but you did still have a very small amount of transient droop at 100% twin torque in hot temps. Over speeding the NR wasn't an option sadly. (I can't remember the exact figure allowed in auto but I seem to recall 110%) Although, thinking back on it, you could have selected more than 104% but it wasn't the 'done' thing I assume.

Distant memories of the windscreen filling with vision of sea wondering when the ground effect and translational lift would kick in!